Sunday, December 31, 2006

Maldivian Paradise





It will be monsoon or still in the rainy season as forecasted. In my boat ride to the island resort, I prayed secretly for a calm sea to bring me safely to land and a sunny seaside in the next morning, if not too much to ask. Ahah, what a magical day! My prayers were not only answered but to my surprise, I had all the S's to park my lazy-ass-out and chill. It's truly an island paradise offering the smiling sun, shiny sea, soft sand and sultry sexiness! Yeap, you'll feel that when everyone is in their bare minimum!

My day starts with a wake, full of enthusiasm and hope. As my night arrival didn't grant me the chance to roam the atoll, I yearn to get out of my chalet and spend the whole day beneath the canopy of coconut palms, seaside shrubs and hardy plants shielding the pristine shoreline. Slothful deck chairs are abundant and invading every space ideal for a good chill-out. I took a stroll around the island and was quite amazed with the standard of luxury available. Watersports is a must-do, paired with a sinful tanning and good meals in all the welcoming F&B outlets scattered around. Personally, I am more than contented to be able to rest in front of my chalet, on the white deck chair, facing the sea with compliments of the soothing sound of waves and endless sea breeze. I feel like I own this portion of the beach, which I thought was meant to be felt this way, personal privacy and a sense of entitlement towards nature, the very fundamental human need.

While reading Blink and Off The Edge, my mind began to wander to a reflective state, almost akin to meditation. I began to realise how little it means to have materials around you when what makes us happy is purely love, freedom and simplicity. People here are always smiling, laid-back natured and taking time to spend their lives, witnessing every second as precious encounter to make others happy. It’s rather distressing to know that we’re only selectively in this mode as so-called modern lifestyle robbed so much of our soul and consequently, self-centering takes the toll on us.

Feeling rather little in this humongous natural setting, I felt humbled by my very own existence. Nonetheless, with my beautiful memories and encounters, my second visit will be at anytime soon, I hope.

Happy New Year and Happy Id Al-Adhar!

p/s : As my mood returns to reality, news and debates on Saddam's death looted the air. I felt terrible with questions that I know will go unanswered till our memory fades.May his soul rest in peace...